Collective #3 – Strettle St Thornbury
- Site: 4 Strettle Street Thornbury
- Status: Completed
- Collaborators: Pillar+Post Architecture
- Commencement: 2015
- Completion : 2019
- Partners: 5
Together with Adam & David, Li & Mei, Jess, Stephen & Wei Qi and Andy & Belinda, we completed our third collective project in December 2019, building six double storey 3 bedroom townhouses at 4 Strettle St Thornbury.
We purchased Strettle Street in April 2015. We secured our planning permit in 2016 and began construction in April 2018. Bank of Queensland provided us with construction finance.
Measuring around 1430 sqm with a 20 metre frontage and 70 metre length, the most exciting thing about the site apart from its size is its elevated position. Sitting close to the top of McComas Hill with an east – west orientation, the site has fantastic city views looking the south over Merri Creek.
The east-west orientation of the site meant that we were able to maximise northern private open space to all of the townhouses and given the generous size of the site design ground floor living spaces.
The dwellings feature:
- around 130sqm of living space
- tandem car parking where the rear car park sits behind the garage and is uncovered so residents can use this area as a multipurpose space,
- roof decks with sweeping views to the south towards the city.
- brickwork patterning details in reference to the predominately inter and post war brick veneer housing in the area
- exposed ground floor ceiling joists to increase the feeling of space at ground floor living.